Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas Phishmas

I've officially had enough of Christmas now.
I had a fabulous Christmas eve, preparing the house for visitors, and decorating every available surface with some form of foliage or other. Then I went for a brisk walk in the woods with dad and Lilli. Mum had also gone out to pick up some mistletoe from our neighbour's house and the house was empty for at least an hour.

What we didn't know whilst we we walking was that mum stayed at Annie's for a Christmas tipple (or two), and had left the Rayburn on at full tilt, getting hotter and hotter.

Our friend Richard (one of the dinner guests we were expecting shortly after our return) turned up a little early, and by chance, mum had left the door unlocked. So Richard came in to find the chimney glowing red and smoke emerging from the Rayburn. We arrived back a few minutes later and if it wasn't for Richard's quick reactions and old school fire handling skills, Christmas could have been a bit crispy.

When mum appeared, she tried to make light of the situation by making a joke about Santa getting stuck down the chimney - how very convenient.

After such a startling incident, wine was much needed and the nibbles were quickly assembled. Mum then served up a fantastic fish pie with salad leaves from the garden. After our guests had gone we retired to the sitting room, in front of a roaring fire, and watched the pick of the slush-pile of Christmas TV.

Christmas day was split into two, the first half spent at home, and the second spent at Luke's house. There couldn't have been more of a contrast - but in a wholly pleasant way.
I had a lie-in til ten-thirty, then helped prepare vegetables and canapes of smoked salmon on cheesy muffins. Dad collected grandma and they arrived back at twelve-thirty. We opened presents, ate too much, then grandma fell asleep in front of the fire.

We snuck out for a walk by the canal, came back to Christmas pud and custard. That was the extent of it - apart from a few arguments between mum and dad over the lunching processions. I left the house at five and got to Luke's just as his family had turned their living room into a wrapping paper mountain. There were ten people in that room, but the mess suggested many more had been and gone. But no. Just them.

I opened presents from Luke and his parents, and helped myself to a large glass of bubbly. Luke's family are loud, raucous and completely barmy. But I love it, because they're such a contrast to my family, who are a bit up-tight and quiet. I watched with a smile as the younger kids squabbled over games, wine spilt over the carpet and each Xmas soap special was played back-to-back.

Later, more of the family arrived and more presents were opened. A toast was raised to Luke's auntie, who died five month's ago, and I watched as tears were held back. This family has been through so many twists of fate, horrific divorces and premature deaths - it is no wonder they stick together like they do. Nothing is kept secret, nothing is left unresolved. They are by no means the perfect combination, but I admire their honesty and sense of togetherness.

I found myself attempting to complete the most impossible puzzle with Luke's little brother Jake, after a few more glasses of wine. Not only was it black and white, it was one of those illusion patterns. The ones that you're supposed to stare at until you see something within the original picture. We got all the pieces around the edges, but then gave up, the middle bit was just too much to handle.

I was coaxed into going out on Boxing Day, much to my dismay. I've had enough of drinking, I can feel it taking it's toll on my skin and my over-all fitness already. But Luke says it's tradition, so I go with it. We started drinking at four and then walked to Wetherspoons and met my sister and a few other friends. The mood was still quite festive, but I just wasn't getting into it. Luke and I had five-bean chilli, which sobered me up and I had to start drinking doubles to compensate. We were supposed to be meeting up with Luke's family, but we didn't know where they were and decided to check just about every pub on the high street in search of them.

We had a drink in every pub we checked, but to no avail. It was too late to go back and find our other friends, so we settled in Galleries. I felt a bit secluded, because Luke knows just about every person in Bridgwater and I haven't got many friends here now. But we had a bit of a dance and then went home and ate some dirty, dripping with buttery badness garlic bread.

To me, Christmas is over after Boxing Day, which is today. So I'm all ready to get myself geared up with my writing again. Having had nearly two weeks off, it's time to get my creative juices flowing. I'm going to work on my two homework assignments asap, then tackle the dissertation form and prof. studies portfolio as soon as I get back to Falmouth on the second of Jan.

I've printed out ten letters to send to various TV production companies about work experience, but I don't want to send them too soon after Christmas, in case they get put in the bin with a mountain of Xmas junk mail.

My business card design will be ready before the end of the week, I very lucky to know a friend who is also an employee of a printing company and he's going to give me expert advice and a cut rate! Even if they're not produced before I go back, I'm sure Rob can send them on to me. Still not sure whether to go for something simple and corporate, or quirky with a photo or caricature of me on it. Either way, it'll be an investment, I wee bit of self-branding and publicity...

No comments: