Friday, December 01, 2006

I Hate Computers!

I am officially at war with technology, more specifically with Microsoft. Yesterday I thought I'd be a bit clever and install a Microsoft Office update onto my iBook. But of course, it couldn't be that simple. The installation went very smoothly, but when I went to open Word as normal, it wouldn't let me until I'd completed a 'CD Key' code. What the hell is a key code? Apparently it's a code on your original Microsoft software CD.

But, unfortunately for me, I never had the original. I copied it from a friend who I have not been in contact with in four years and no longer have her number. Shit! Even if I did manage to contact her (which I am trying to do), hers was a copy too and I doubt she'll be able to get in contact with whom ever she got it from. Now, I'm in a bit of a pickle - I'm a MA Professional Writing student, and I can't open Word on my computer. Luckily, I've got a copy of most of my work on a memory stick, but how am I supposed to write my assignments and all my coursework, due in in January?

I don't know, my brain does not compute with computers. I spent all last night, desperately opening and closing every document, utility, and every combination for the code. But it's not going to happen. It just isn't. But then I thought, what if those lovely people in the IT centre can help me? Well, they couldn't. It wasn't as if I got my hopes up or anything, but I thought they'd at least give me some advice. No.

Apparently - the code is a new security precaution. Too many people have been copying Microsoft for free, and now they expect existing customers to conveniently put their key in and away they go. I am a fraudster, and my blissful ignorance has backfired spectacularly. I may even have to reinstall OS X again, from scratch. The only writing I can do on my computer is this blog, I may be able to open a rusty copy of Apple Works, but it'll be pretty basic.

I hate computers and I hate myself for not taking any attention during IT lessons at school. I hate being a techno-phobe, but it's probably too late to reinvigorate any kind of loving relationship. Ever.

No comments: