Monday, November 13, 2006

Fun and Games at the Royal Standard

What a social animal I was this weekend. Three whole nights of drinking, three mornings of splitting headaches and regrets. But it's not all that bad.
Last night I was invited to The Three Mackerel staff party, (even though I haven't actually worked there since september) at Sue and Roger's other pub, The Royal Standard.
And very pleasant it was to. Free wine, spirits (and what ever you could wish for come the end of the night) and mountains of food. Roast potatoes, rice and a bizarre cabbage wrap for me and one other vegetarian.

There was singing and dancing and guitars. There was young boys spilling beer all over the beautiful floorboards. This Three Mac's party was actaully pretty tame compared to previous ones. The first one I went to was carnage. My friend Katie and I arrived late and played catch-up by drinking buckets full of rose wine. About an hour later, that all came back up the exact same colour, much to my shame and disappointment. Katie did the same an hour after me, and got taken home by her boyfriend. I, however, soldiered on until the wee-small hours. Couldn't drink another thing, but tried to look happy. Why is it when there's free booze involved - you always make a complete twat out of yourself? Or, maybe it's just me?!

So that was a coulpe of days ago, and I'm not drinking again until friday, after my interview in London. I've got to get the train from Falmouth at 6 something in the morning, interview at 1.30. I'm going up with three others, so I think we might have time for a few drinks before we get back on the train for another five hours. I'm dead nervous, haven't had an interview since college. Doesn't help that I've got nothing to wear either.

Not really going to have any time to prepare, because of the 'writing for radio' course I'm doing all this week. But I'm having too much fun with it to worry. Today, we are splicing our monologues together. I hope they fit well, or we may end up having to change things drastically.

No comments: