Sunday, November 26, 2006

Speak Easy

On Friday night I was transported back to the 20's in the style of a flapper, fully equipped with fur shawl and feathered tiara. The Speakeasy was in aid of Stranger's second birthday, and it was certainly celebrated in style. Buses were laid on for us from Falmouth and we arrived to a free cocktail and some funky tunes. Everyone had made a superb effort with their costumes, there were only a handful of people who didn't dress up to the tilt.

Aside from having to wait half an hour for drinks in the downstairs bar, the night kicked off to a roaring start. We played Roulette at long tables with low lights. I didn't really know what I was doing, but it was fun to make spontaneous, outlandish bets. Needless to say I lost everything, but another drink soon made me forget. Luke lost badly to some local punks at Poole, he looked the part though, suited and booted with his trilby and waist coat.

The bands played at full throttle, fulfilling the ambiance with good humour. The last band, Hard Kandy rocked the house. My only complaint being that they finished to soon, without an encore. There was a little more music from the Jelly Jazz DJ's, but as soon as the lights went up, we where being ushered out the doors.

Much to our dismay, we were missing a few items. My phone which was in Luke's jacket pocket had been mislaid. We hunted everywhere for it, and very nearly missed the bus. It put a dampener on the evening, I gave Luke a lot of undue aggravation, certain it was his fault. But it wasn't really any ones fault, and material possessions don't mean anything anyway. Or do they? The only thing I was worried about was losing all my numbers. Numbers of people I may not speak to very often, but need that contact, just in case. Must do the sensible thing and write them all down on paper or put them on my hard drive - if I get them back that is. If not, I'll have to start afresh, even though I can't afford to buy a new phone.

We're supposed to be picking up the jacket, (hopefully with phone still in pocket) from The Chain Locker in an hour. I spoke to the manager of the Green Room yesterday and he said he'd drop it into Falmouth today, as he was coming here anyway. What a nice man - I just hope he remembers or maybe it was a blag? It sounded a bit too good to be true.

I'm peeved that our misfortune interrupted our big night out, just as things were hotting up, but I really shouldn't think about it too much. I will try to look back at the glitz and the sophistication; where else could such a good ol' time be had by all, other than at an old fashioned speakeasy? Guys and Dolls rule, chavs and hippies drool!

No comments: