Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Myth and Mayhem

I've just finished a first draft of a story I'm going to enter into a BBC R.A.W competition. It's an on-going comp. where every chapter is written by a different
person and then the whole piece is read out on radio and published in a book. I found it very hard to stick to the word limit of 1,500 and also make something self-contained yet open to interpretation for the next chapter.

I had to do a bit of research, although the story is based on the Somerset Levels, so at least I know the area well enough to picture it in my mind. The story has an eclectic mixture of myth and current ecological issues. The theme is clear; if the sea levels rise as much as a couple of centimeters in the next few years, like predicted, the Levels will flood again, like they did many centuries ago. This could spell disaster for local communities, not to mention all the marsh habitats and wildlife. Yet developers still want to build on it, to make homes for a growing population.

The story has elements of the myth of King Arthur and the language and description of such things as 'Punky's' and 'Rhynes' are native to Somerset and used to good effect.
The deadline for this project is November 3, so I may see if I can get a few people to read it and help edit it before I submit. If it doesn't get chosen this chapter, I will still follow the story and probably submit later on. It might be easier to format the end, rather than the beginning where everything is quite elusive.

No comments: