Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thursday

So, it's nearly the end of my second week on MA Prof. Writing. Boy, what a wake up call it all is. I've been fuddling along for the past year, not doing an awful lot of anything. Now, I feel kind of like I've been projected through the air, information pouring through my ears, eyes and brain. Then I've been set down on the floor again and told to walk, talk and write like a professional!

I don't know know how I'll remember everything, but I am determined to keep it all in and refuse to let anything important escape. It's just as well by boyfriend and three cats have moved back to Somerset because just looking after myself is proving too much in itself. There are not enough hours in the day to do want I want. But course is KING and I am merely a player, I surrender myself to it for the good of my future.

What have I learnt today? I've learnt that I do not remember certain fairytails as well as I thought(or maybe they just have a different meaning when you're doing a course like this!) 'Little Red Riding Hood'- did the wolf really swallow her and the granny? All I remembered was the dialogue when the wolf's in granny's bed, "All the better to EAT you with..."
We read a contemporary politically correct version of the story, which was very entertaining. Woolf, Red and granny settle their differences and turn against the woodcutter, who is accused of hassling them, when they are perfectly capable of looking after themselves (as independent women).

I'm looking forward to this week's assignment, which involves re-writing a children's story, for an adult audience. I'm thinking; 'The Princess and the Pea', 'Beauty and the Beast', or maybe 'The Emperor's New Clothes.'

Tomorrow I'm going to a Business Writing seminar, which will probably be the deciding factor as to whether or not I do the unit of the same title next semester.

Just read an email sent from my mum yesterday, replying to an email I sent requesting to know how the cats are. Apparently, Columbo has taken to sitting on top of the piano as my dad plays to him. What a blissful thought, wish I was there to enjoy it too. It's very satisfying to think that my cat has such good taste in music...

No comments: