Friday, October 13, 2006

That Friday Feeling...

I've just got home after sharing a bottle of wine with two other Prof. Writing friends, and I'm starting to feel sleepy. I've got that Friday feeling, I want another drink, else I'm going to fall asleep. I shouldn't have a drink, because I've got too much work to do, so I'll try and get that Friday feeling outta my head.
There, its gone.

Now before I had the wine, on the terrace, in front of the Maritime Museum, I attended a 'Writing for Business' seminar. It was very informative, with a varied assortment of guest speakers. The one speaker I wanted to know more about, got cut short before he had chance to finish his intriguing talk. It wasn't helped by the fact that it was nearly lunch time and he was talking quietly and at some speed. I had the feeling that the charts and diagrams he showed us were a trade mark 'box of tricks' belonging to his company, a formula that he may not have really wanted to give away to his rivals and a pack of thirsty-for-knowledge students (me included) at the back of the hall.

I'm thinking I should have approached him and poached him to give me a work placement, but I think pretty much everybody else in that hall had the same idea, either that or they wanted to ask for a writing job with his company. I really need to grow myself some balls and make up some really impressive business cards- then get on a networking mission.

So the weekend approaches, do I allow myself a day off tomorrow? I haven't had a day off in two weeks and I desperately need to do something other than reading/writing. I think I'll go swimming and maybe, just maybe, read a quality newspaper. OK, I know that's reading, but its just news.

It was lovely to go back into the Maritime Museum today, I haven't been in there since it opened. The boats suspended from the ceiling are still a very unique sight to behold. I insisted on taking Joe and Frea to the top of the tower, so they could spy on the posh houses across the water at Flushing. We all picked which one we'd chose to live in when we're rich and famous. Probably in about fifty years...

No comments: